Want the easy answer??
YES – it’s THAT great!
Coconut oil was once thought to be a fatty, unhealthy oil…we now know that is complete garbage! Apart from excellent health benefits like lowering cholesterol and boosting metabolism, coconut oil has some amazing perks when it comes to the beauty department.
I am a believer and an avid user.
I didn’t know much about it until I became pregnant. A friend recommended using coconut oil to help prevent stretch marks. Now, stretch marks are hereditary and inevitable for some women – there are very few ways – if any – to actually prevent them. Regardless of my stretch mark fate, I was planning to dip that belly in anything to help!
After I started using the oil, I noticed how soft my skin was and how healthy it looked. So…I decided to do a little research to see what was really up with this stuff. Here’s what I use it for now:
– I use it as a moisturizer in the shower. When I’m all done I the shower, before I turn the water off, I rub the oil all over my skin. After the warm water sort of ‘rinses’ any excess away, I turn the water off and pat myself dry. My skin has never looked better! It moisturizes all day, plus is has natural SPF in it.
– This may be T.M.I., but I’ve started using coconut oil as deodorant. Coconut oil has natural anti-bacterial components. I’m not saying that it is excellent if I’m working out and need to prevent B.O., but for being inside all day at a desk job – it works great! Plus it has a scent on its own and leaves my underarms super soft.
– It is great as a deep conditioner for your hair.
– Lip balm. I use it alone, or I mix in some all natural color that you can read about here.
– I LOVE giving myself manicures. Coconut oil is amazing on cuticles. In fact, I use it to massage my nail beds, too, and my nails have never looked better. My nails are stronger and don’t peel like they used to.
– I have replaced shaving cream with coconut oil for my legs and bikini area. I get a close shave, plus it makes my skin smooth and soft.
I’m tossing around the idea of trying to make some homemade products that use coconut oil as a base. Stay tuned for that…I’m not entirely sure about venturing into that quite yet.
I did want to mention that I have used coconut oil for Everett. He hasn’t battled with any diaper rashes or anything; however, I do use coconut oil on his skin and bottom a few times a week.
I also add coconut oil to my morning shakes to promote energy, digestion, and it helps with my breast milk supply. It really is good for a variety of things.
I’m sure there are a million ways to use this fantastic product.
Do you use coconut oil? I’d love to hear how!